Friday, April 6, 2012

Interview with Emma Lane

Today I’m delighted to welcome guest interviewee, Emma Lane, member of our sister organisation the RWA. Emma tells me that she lives in Western New York near Lake Erie on a few picturesque acres with her ever patient husband. They own and operate a small herbtique, a plant nursery, which keeps their days busy and interesting during the summer months. Their village is a perfect example of small town USA. They have two brilliant grown-up children and a wonderful pair of grandchildren. In one way or another, the entire family contributes to her stories. They are her biggest fans and she is ever thankful for it. “I never saw a printed word I did not like,” she says. 
So tell us Emma, what first kickstarted your career?

MY PASSIONATE LOVE, a Regency Romance, the first of a series of three. Yes, it was the most thrilling of times to see my pen name in print. Musa Publishing has a great group of editors which helped immensely. There was so much I didn’t understand about e-books at first.

Which author would you say has most influenced your work?

Tough to answer. For my Regency novels, Georgette Heyer hands down. If I want to be inspired, I read anything by John Steinbeck. That man was a virtuoso with words.

Do you take advice before sending your baby out into the wide world? If so, who from? 

My hubby is my primary reader. I have several friends and relatives who do beta readings for me. My daughter teaches college English and helps me edit.

How do you relax? What interests do you have other than writing? Do you think it important for a writer to take time off? 

I am part owner of a small plant nursery, a herbtique. My Spring and Summers are very full and I can only write in snatches at night. Mostly I write in the Fall and polish in the Winter. Time off is when my hubby drags me to Florida for a few weeks in January. I doubt writers ever really take time off. If I am not writing, my mind is planning to write and I am always reading if given the chance.

Can you tell us something of your work in progress? 


I am into edits on a Contemporary Romantic Suspense to be published by Desert Breeze Publishing. It’s called GONE TO THE DOGS and is a sequel to already published SANDPIPER AFFAIR. Both are set in Florida. The heroine is a wild life photographer and the hero is a wealthy hunk who does advocacy work as a Park Ranger. There is lots and lots of nature and wildlife. The first novel is about the beginning of a romance. The second one is about the deepening of the romance as the couple learn to sort out their individual differences set against the rich flora and fauna of tropical Florida.

And now for a few less serious questions. Who is your favourite hero and why?
Superman He can fly. (I’m married to a commercial pilot, but they need machines.) He doesn’t seem to need food fixed for him. Only wears one suit of clothes so no laundry. He’s a handsome sort of man of steel. Great muscles.

Nice thought. If you could know the future, what would you wish for?
World Peace and plentiful food for everyone.

Where would you most like to escape to and write?
I have a pretty nice office with a view of the park across the street, but Hawaii wouldn’t be bad.

If you could be something other than a writer, what would you choose to be?
Lois Lane, of course. In lieu of that, perhaps a lawyer. I love to argue and debate.

Apart from writing, of which accomplishment are you most proud.
I feel I’ve done a presentable job making a home for my family. I’m not bad at designing gardens either.

My Passionate Love

The vicar’s eldest daughter, resigned to spinsterhood, has developed an unreasonable prejudice against her handsome neighbor, but Lord Sutcliffe is smitten by her passionate nature and vows to win her over. The two young people struggle to take their rightful places in society and, on the way, to share a lasting love for each other. Lord Sutcliffe meets a pretty miss on a dusty country road and rescues her from her embarrassing dilemma. It must have been magic as his intention was only to steal a quick buss. Instead he is astonished to find himself involved in a passionate kiss which leaves him shaken to the core. Frances, the vicar’s daughter, should have put that impudent, frivolous lord in his place. Why she responded to his kiss the way she did, she’d never know. She knew she should not have, but the feelings were just too delicious to resist. 

Thank you so much for sparing the time to talk to us, Emma. We wish you every success with your new titles. 
Best wishes, Freda

You can check out Emma’s books here:


Interviews on the RNA Blog are for RNA members, although we do occasionally take guests. If you are interested in an interview, please contact me: freda@fredalightfoot.co.uk

13 comments:

Angela Britnell said...

Greetings from a fellow Desert Breeze author and RNA/RWA member. Great interview Emma and good luck with the new book - it sounds fascinating.

AnneMarie Brear said...

Nice interview, Emma.
Good luck with your books.

_ said...

Thanks, ladies. I just got my cover for my Desert Breeze release, GONE TO THE DOGS. You might imagine there's a lovely labrador on the front.
Thanks so much for letting me post here. It's a great site.
Emma

Patricia said...

Nice interview, Emma. I like the sound of your book series. The characters' occupations are different which makes it all the more intriguing.
Thanks for letting us get to know you a little better.
Patti

Amanda Usen said...

I'm intrigued by the premise of "Gone To The Dogs". Good luck with the books!

Nancy Kay said...

Jan,

You come across well in the interview. Sicinct, and very in touch with yourself - good traits for a writer. Using your knowledge of Florida brings your stories home.
Good luck with your next release!

Nancy

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Nice to have the chance to get to know you today, Emma. My hubby would love to visit your gardens. They sound beautiful.

Best of luck with lots of sales.

LabRat90 said...

I love your books! I can't wait
to get started on "Gone to the
Dogs." If you need more
inspiration, you can always visit
us in Louisiana!

_ said...

You are gonna love GONE TO THE DOGS and then I hope you are intrigued enough to check out SANDPIPER AFFAIR which is the prequel. Those two are contemporaries which let me roam the outdoors at my leisure, calling it "research." Don't you just love this business of ours? <g
Emma

Alison Stone said...

I enjoyed your interview and I learned a new word ~ herbtique. Interesting. I'm amazed you find time to write. Kudos to you!

_ said...

Thanks, Alison. Writers will always find a way, I think,even if they must sandwich the time in sideways.
My shorty published today over @ MUSA PUBLISHING. It's a Regency sweet love story. Way fun to write.:) You'll love the heroine, Sarah Louise, she's a bit of a tomboy.What is the UK translation for tomboy?
Emma (Regency)Janis (Contemporary)

Susan Bergen said...

It's always lovely to meet one of our American counterparts.

LindyLouMac said...

An interesting interview and a reminder of Georgette Heyer I read so many of her novels as a teenager!