Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pitching at the RNA Conference

Watching Jeffery Deaver on Breakfast one morning reminded me about planning pitches for the Conference. I haven't booked any publisher interviews but I need to be ready to describe my writing in general in a couple of short punchy sentences to anyone who asks. [And those who don't!]

At past Conferences when I've been lucky enough to find myself sitting or standing next to agents and publishers, I've often only managed to mumble something uninspiring.

So now I shall practice my sentences in front of a mirror until I can recite them without hesitation, repetition or deviation and hopefully with a pleasant smile, all at the same time.

When I've had publisher/ agent interviews in the past, I've always felt that I just make a fool of myself. Am certain Ed Handyside of Myrmidon, for instance, will probably have thought, 'pleasant enough woman but rambles a lot.'

On the upside, they are always very polite and when I've asked if I can send them something, have always said yes.

And my default option, if I haven't spoken to anyone is to send the work anyway, beginning my letter with : I was standing next to you at the RNA Summer Party last week but didn't manage to speak to you.

Or : I heard you speak at the RNA Conference and very much enjoyed your talk. Both these worked well and did at least receive individual replies. I suppose I had at least given them something a bit different to say in their rejections - writing them must be a bit like writing school reports. In the end, your work has to go out into the world and stand on its own little feet, whatever you've said.

So best of luck! I'm off to stand in front of the mirror.

Anne

Thank you Anne, for this delightfully humorous take on the process of pitching.I wish you every  success with the next.
Best wishes, Freda

Anne Hewland's latest Pocket Novel with D C Thompson is Pool of Darkness. Do watch out for her next.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so Anne. She is such a stalwart of RNA North group and always has us laughing. She deserves every success. Leah Fleming

Sue Fortin said...

It's the one sentence summing up that seems to take as much effort as a whole manuscript. I haven't been able to face the mirror yet, maybe next week...

Thanks Anne for a lovely post.

Rhoda Baxter said...

The one sentence summing up always sounds so flat! It's harder than writing the book in the first place.

Jan Jones said...

Still appointments available, Anne...

Linn B Halton and Lucy Coleman said...

As this will be my first RNA conference thank you Anne for making me stop and think! I will indeed think of something to sum up my work and practice...hadn't even thought about that!