Thursday, May 5, 2016

Joan Hessayon Award 2016 contender: Bella Osborne

Today Bella Osborne answers our questions. Bella is another of the talented contenders for this year's Joan Hessayon Award and graduate of the RNA New Writers' Scheme.

How long have you been writing? Is this your first published piece?
I’ve been writing ever since primary school when I discovered that I loved it. Yes, It Started at Sunset
Cottage is my first published story.

How many years were you a member of the NWS and did you submit a manuscript each year?
I joined in January 2013 and submitted a manuscript for two years until I graduated to full membership.

What came first, agent or publisher?
I met my thoroughly lovely editor, Charlotte Ledger, at the RNA conference in Sheffield in 2013 as part of the 121s and she asked to read the rest of my novel. I signed with my agent later that year.

Who is your agent?
I am represented by the Kate Nash Literary Agency

Do you have a contract for one book or more?
My first contract was with Harper Impulse for two books and I have just signed a one book contract with Avon (also part of Harper Collins).

When was your book published?
Digitally on 12th February 2015, Print on Demand April 2015, and Paperback August 2015.

Tell us something about your book
It has two strong women at its core - Kate is a reserved author whilst Sarah is a sharp-tongued single mother. After losing her fiancĂ©, Kate is slowly getting her life back on track when Timothy Calder, A-list actor and leading man in the movie adaptation of her book, turns up on her doorstep, hoping to lie low after his latest tabloid scandal. Sarah is trying to hold down two jobs and shut her ex-husband out of her life. When he goes missing she thinks it’s the answer to her problems until Sarah becomes number one suspect.

What are you currently working on?
I am multi-tasking! I am currently editing my second novel, ‘A Family Holiday’, which is due for release in June, as well as writing my third book which will be released digitally in four parts under the title ‘Willow Cottage’, the first part of which is due for release on 7th July.

What piece of advice would you give current members of the NWS?
Keep writing, no matter what life throws at you and never, ever give up!

Links:


Thank you, Bella, we hope you have a fabulous evening at the RNA Summer Party and good luck with your writing career.

The RNA blog is brought to you by

Elaine Everest & Natalie Kleinman


2 comments:

@juliawildauthor said...

Lovely article, Bella. Have a wonderful time at the Summer Party and all the very best with your writing career. It sounds great.

Bella said...

Thanks Julie - I can't wait!