Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Joan Hessayon Award contenders 2017: Lynda Stacey

 We are thrilled to again be hosting the contenders for the 2017 Joan Hessayon Award. Leading up to the Summer Party and announcement of the award we will be getting to know all eleven authors.

Welcome to the RNS blog, Lynda, and congratulations on being one of the contenders for this year’s award. 
How long have you been writing? Is this your first published piece?
I’ve been writing all my life. When I was 14, my English teacher advised me to go into a writing
career, but after visiting the career’s advice officer he told me that I’d be better off trying to get a job in Boots on the makeup counter. And although I loved writing, I did just that. I left school and went to work in shops, I trained in nursing and eventually I ended up back in sales. Throughout all that time, I kept writing. I had one or two articles published in magazines, but then in 2015 I entered the Choc Lit search for a star competition, with this novel. I won the competition and my novel, House of Secrets was published in July 2016.

How many years were you a member of the NWS and did you submit a manuscript each year?
I was a member of the NWS for two years. And yes, I did submit House of Secrets to them.

What came first, agent or publisher?
To be honest, both. Almost at the same time Choc Lit offered to publish me and an agent offered to represent me. I made the decision at that time not to sign with an agent and to take the offer of a contract with Choc Lit.

How did you find your publisher?
I’d always known of Choc Lit and to be honest, I’d always aspired to be a part of their team after meeting the lovely, Lyn Vernham at the Festival of Romance. We were sat on the same table, she was lovely and I met her on a 1-1 the following year at the RNA conference.

Do you have a contract for one book or more?
I have contracts in place for two more books. Tell me no Secrets, which was released on 11th April 2017 and for Twisted Secrets which is due out early in 2018. I may also have the offer of a contract in principal for a sequel to House of Secrets. But, that is still unconfirmed.

When was your book published?
In July 2016.

Tell us something about your book
My book came to life for me after visiting Wrea Head Hall, a country house hotel in Scarborough. The history seeped out of the walls and I just knew it had a tale to tell. I got to know the owners, asked their permission to use it as a backdrop and House of Secrets was born. Of course, for research purposes I go back and stay the night whenever I get the opportunity. It’d be rude not to… wouldn’t it??

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on a sequel to House of Secrets. It’s been requested by readers so many times and although I’d not intended to write a sequel, I’m really enjoying doing it.

What piece of advice would you give current members of the NWS?
Keep writing, don’t stop and take the NWS advice. The authors who offer this service are amazing, they have a wealth of knowledge, so take it while you can. I loved being a part of this scheme and will always be grateful to the ladies who offered me advice.

Links:
Twitter: @Lyndastacey

Thank you, Lynda. Congratulations again on graduating the New Writers’ Scheme and I hop you enjoy the Summer Party.



4 comments:

Kim Elizabeth Lain said...

Well done Lynda. You must be thrilled x

Lizzie Lamb said...

Congratulations from the Belmont Belles ❤️

April Hardy said...

Those RNA conference 1-1s are invaluable, aren't they, Linda!
Looking forward to meeting you in person at the party next month :)

Anonymous said...

DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP.
WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM 
WHATS APP: +2347012841542

I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.